A place I free my inner inspirations.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Nathaniel Hawthorne


Toady I would like to briefly talk something about an American writer Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Nathaniel Hawthorne is a master of American historical fiction which took off first when the United States of America was newly created, and this kind of genre was established by English writer Sir Walter Scott.
Influenced to some extent by transcendentalism, Hawthorne's views of this movement were mixed. Unlike Emerson and Thoreau whose works contained optimistic beliefs and faith about life, Hawthorne's writings, with its deep ethical concren about sin, punishment, and atonement.
There are two important characteristics of Hawthorne's works---powerful symbolism and psychological complexity, which made him distinguished from other writers.
His works explore the darker side of human nature, especially themes of guilt and efforts at reconciliation at last. The Scarlet Letter is a good example to prove it.
In a word, Nathaniel Hawthorne is a great writer. Therefore my discovery of him will be endless. I just stop here today, and I'll go further in the following days.

No comments: